What is the Attack Surface?
Attack Surface is the sum of an organization’s digital risk exposure. It is the total number of ways an attacker could gain access to sensitive data or systems within an organization. Attackers are constantly probing for weaknesses in an organization’s defenses. By understanding an organization’s Attack Surface, security teams can take steps to reduce the risk of successful attacks.
Organizations today are under constant attack from a variety of cyber threats. To protect themselves, they must understand their Attack Surface and take steps to reduce it. Attack Surface Management (ASM) is a process for identifying, assessing, and mitigating risks to an organization’s digital assets. ASM helps organizations to focus their security efforts on the areas that pose the most significant risk.
What are the digital risks?
Digital risks are the potential harms that can come from the use of digital technology. They can come from a variety of sources, both internal and external. External threats can come from anywhere in the world and can be highly sophisticated. They may target specific individuals or groups within an organization, or they may go after the organization as a whole. Internal threats may come from disgruntled employees or malicious insiders.
Digital risks can take many forms, including:
- Phishing attacks
- Data breaches
- Denial of service attacks
- Social engineering attacks
Attackers are constantly looking for new ways to gain access to sensitive data or systems. Unfortunately, they are often successful because they only need to find one weak spot to exploit. ASM helps organizations close those weak spots before attackers can take advantage of them.
In today’s digital world, ASM is an essential part of any organization’s security strategy. By taking a proactive approach to identifying and mitigating risks, organizations can make it harder for attackers to succeed.
What are the benefits of Attack Surface Management?
There are many benefits of Attack Surface Management, some of which include:
- Reducing digital risk exposure
- Identifying and mitigating risks early
- Improving security posture
- Focusing security efforts on the most critical assets
- Making it more difficult for attackers to exploit vulnerabilities
- Identifying potential threats and vulnerabilities
- Taking proactive steps to mitigate risks
- Closing weak spots that attackers could exploit
- Improving an organization’s security posture.
What are the steps in Attack Surface Management?
The Attack Surface Management process typically includes the following steps:
- Identify assets and vulnerabilities
- Assess risks
- Mitigate risks
- Monitor environment
- Repeat as needed
Organizations should regularly review their Attack Surface and take steps to reduce it. Attack Surface Management is an ongoing process.
How to protect Attack Surface?
There are the number of ways to protect the Attack Surface:
- Use strong passwords and two-factor authentication.
- Keep software up to date and patch vulnerabilities quickly.
- Educate employees about cybersecurity risks and best practices.
- Implement security controls such as firewalls and intrusion detection systems.
- Conduct regular security audits and penetration tests.
Organizations should take a proactive approach to Attack Surface Management by identifying potential risks and taking steps to mitigate them. By doing so, they can make it much harder for attackers to succeed.
Protect your companies’ Attack Surface with BRANDEFENSE
ASM is a proactive approach to security that helps organizations reduce their digital risk and make it more difficult for attackers to exploit vulnerabilities successfully.
BRANDEFENSE is the leading Attack Surface Management platform, helping organizations worldwide proactively manage their digital risk. Our platform provides visibility into potential threats and vulnerabilities, and our expert teams help you take steps to mitigate those risks. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you protect your organization’s Attack Surface.